We are currently in the submissions period for the first anthology in our hard science optimistic series. Please read below for the submission requirements and other information. If you cannot find the answer to your question you can contact us—do not use the submission email address to contact us with questions about the submissions process or story requirements.
Submissions are currently open.
This first anthology is based on the theme of water. Stories must use real or realistic science based on the theme of water in the near future (50-100 years from 2017). Your story must be considered optimistic—this does not mean that bad things can’t happen in your story, but there has to be an optimistic twist and an optimistic ending (a happy ending or hope for a happy ending). For example, your main character can die at the end as long as their death brings hope for others. Any stories that are not deemed optimistic will not be considered.
Stories can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with Water Submission in the subject. Any emails without this subject heading will be ignored by the system.
- Stories must not exceed 5,000 words
- Stories must be accompanied by a short cover letter in the body of the submissions email explaining your past publications or other accreditation including any science education or background you may have. *Note that we do often publish first time authors, so having no previous publications is not detrimental to your submission.
- Submit your story as an attachment to the email in Word document format only (.doc or .docx).
- Authors must be Canadian, permanent residents of Canada, or otherwise have a Canadian connection. If you are not Canadian by birth please explain your Canadian connection in the cover letter.
- Authors may submit only one story to the anthology.
- Previously published stories are accepted as long as you have the rights to republish it.
- If you have submitted your story for consideration elsewhere, or plan to do so, please state that in your cover letter.
- Authors will be paid $30 for their stories if accepted into the anthology.
- Submission deadline is midnight July 22nd.